Eye Exams Are The Foundation of Good Health
Comprehensive Eye Exam
If you are considering LASIK surgery, there are several things you must do prior to the procedure to prepare. One of the first things you must do is have a thorough eye exam in order to determine exactly how much work must be done on your eyes and the level of vision impairment you suffer. An eye exam also ensures that your eyes are healthy enough for surgery.
What to expect from a consultation?
Many people have not had an eye exam in some time. Here is an outline of what to expect at your eye examination at Global Laser Vision in San Diego. Be sure to ask your doctor if you have any questions before, during or after the exam.
- The exam takes about an hour and should not cause pain or discomfort.
- Eye exams should be performed annually in order to spot vision deterioration in a timely manner.
- You will be asked to answer health questions. Your answers will be kept confidential, but the answers are important in helping the doctor recognize conditions that could affect your eye health.
- External eye exam. The doctor will look at the eye, the surrounding tissue and the parts of the eye to check for abnormalities or signs of infection or problems. The doctor will check to see how your pupils react, whether the eye moves correctly in six directions, and tracks a moving object.
- Visual field check. The doctor will ask you to cover one eye at a time and identify objects in the peripheral field of vision. Often this will be a number of fingers or some other easily identified object.
- Visual acuity. There are several tests for visual acuity, including the Snellen chart, refraction with lenses and color vision. Patients may be asked to read the letters on the chart with and without corrective lenses to determine how well vision can be corrected.
- Ophthalmoscope. The doctor will use a handheld instrument to inspect the retina and internal eye structure.
- Tonometry. The patient’s eye will also be measured for pressure to check for glaucoma. This is often done with the “puff test” by puffing air against the cornea or by a gentle touch.
San Diego’s premiere laser eye surgery center
San Diego Lasik Center Global Laser Vision established since 2000 and has been responsible for over 75,000 cases of Laser Eye Surgery in San Diego to date. Our affiliate clinic, San Diego Global Laser Cosmetics has been established since 2002 and specializes in minimally invasive and non-invasive skin care and cosmetic procedures in San Diego. Click on San Diego Lasik Surgery, to read more about Lasik Reviews and on Viora San Diego, to read about Global Laser Cosmetics.